Monday, April 23, 2012

Religion And Politics



.....two subjects that "they" say should not be discussed. I can see why. Because this mindset has been around for so long that people believe it. And inevitably  the discussions turn into arguments that cause hard feelings with others. It doesn't need to be that way.  And who are  "they" anyway?

From the beginning of time a person's beliefs were meant to be shared. In the bible it has always been discussed.  And it was the most important thing in the lives of most of the people, as it should be in our lives.

The importance of religion in politics should be just to the point that those who are running for office such as president of the United States should be believers, because this country was founded by men who believed and on the freedom to worship as one pleased. Anything more than that, like arguing about whether a  person is a " Christian" or not is wrong. 

The definition of the word Christian has changed, from a person who believes in Christ and follows his teachings to a person who "believes the same as I do." If they don't then they are not Christian. These then are labeled as cults. The definition of cult.....in the dictionary is...1) a group of people with a system of beliefs, 2) a group of people who follow a persons teachings, and 3) a group whose beliefs are seen as strange or different than existing beliefs.  Don't these definitions fit the Christians of the new testament church? Yes they do. So they were Christians and a cult too. Interesting.  I feel like I am in good company then. :)

I have been thinking about something else lately too. The bible says 

Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men: Isaiah 29:13 

And

This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
Matthew 15:8
 
And
"Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof...." 
2 Timothy 3:5

And finally in Joseph Smith's History we read:

"they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof."
JS History 1:19

I see this denial everywhere, on the internet, the media, even among clergy, how sad is this?  If I wanted to be a part of the fulfillment of prophecy I wouldn't want it to be this. Believing in God and his power is important.  And believing that today as in the bible times he gives this power to man. 

And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
Matthew 16:19

This power and authority is alive and well in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

To those of you who read this that are not members of the LDS church, I challenge you. Forget about the anti stuff that you hear and read. And go to the source, your LDS neighbors, the local church meeting house, visitors are always welcome;  And the church's official websites: www.lds.org  and www.mormon.org

Learn of the doctrines of the church. Then go to God with a broken (humble)heart and contrite spirit and ask him if these things are true and by the power of the Holy Spirit He will tell you in (your heart, your spirit) that you have found the truth.

The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God
Romans 8:16

The Spirit will also bear witness of the truth of all things.  Then you will know. And what a great feeling that will be. :)

I know that God lives, I know that Jesus lives and that he is the son of God.  I know that by following his teachings and not denying his power that we will be happy in this life and in the life to come. 













2 comments:

  1. So agree with what you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes we sure are Christian from the word go. LOve your blog and post.
    Love,Debbie:)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments or questions here and I will answer them in a post as soon as I can. Please be respectful. Disrespectful, rude or vulgar comments will be deleted and you will not be able to comment again. This is not a place of debate or bashing. This is a place for those who are sincerely interested in knowing the truth about the church. Thank you.